Taliban Reiterates Commitment To Us To Abolish War In Afghanistan

Taliban reiterates commitment to US to abolish war in Afghanistan

Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi witnessed the signing of the US-Taliban peace agreement in Doha, Qatar, 29 February 2020 (credit: RI Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

Kabul - The Taliban reaffirmed their commitment to an agreement between the two sides in February, to stop the war in Afghanistan during a telephone call with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. This was stated by a spokesman for the group.

The discussion took place when US President Donald Trump faced increasing pressure to explain why he had done nothing, after being told about Russian spies.

In the news, it was stated that the parties had offered and paid cash to militants associated with the Taliban for killing American troops. Similarly, as quoting Channel News Asia , Tuesday (06/30/2020).

The Taliban have denied that their fighters received compensation from Russia, and the head of the Qatar-based negotiator, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, reiterated their pledge not to attack the United States.

Baradar told Pompeo that "according to the agreement, we do not allow anyone to use Afghan land against the US and other countries," Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen said in a statement on Twitter.

The New York Times , quoting anonymous officials, reported last week that Trump had been notified of the alleged gift from Russia but he did nothing in response.

Trump denied getting information about the assessment while the White House said the claim had been kept from him because the intelligence supporting him was not verified.

Last February, the United States promised to withdraw all its troops from Afghanistan by mid-2021 in return for security guarantees in an effort to pave the way for negotiations between the warring parties.

Under the important agreement, which excludes the Afghan government, Washington and the militants said they would refrain from attacking each other.

A Taliban spokesman said Baradar and Pompeo discussed concerns about the agreement, including intra-Afghan talks and the release of 5,000 jailed militants.

"We are committed to starting intra-Afghan talks," Baradar told Pompeo, blaming detention for the release of pending detainees, according to Shaheen.

The Afghan government in Kabul said they had released nearly 4,000 Taliban prisoners so far in an effort to start negotiations.

Pompeo acknowledged that the Taliban refrained from attacking city centers and military bases under the agreement, but called on them to do more to reduce overall violence, according to Shaheen.

Violence has declined in most of the country after the Taliban offered a brief ceasefire to mark the Eid festival last month, but officials said the insurgents had stepped up attacks in recent weeks.

Most attacks by the Taliban have targeted Afghan security forces, despite regular police reports that civilians have been killed in roadside bomb blasts.

Post Feedback